Tkemali is a very delicious and flavorful sauce which is very popular in Georgia. Tkemali is a kind of wild sour plum and the sauce is called tkemali too.
- 1 kg Tkemali (wild sour plum)
- 10 cloves Garlic, mashed
- 1 bunch Coriander, fresh
- 1 bunch Fennel, fresh
- 0.5 bunch Pennyroyal, fresh
- Salt to taste
- Red hot chilli pepper flakes to taste
- Wash sour plums. Put them in a saucepan and add some water until the plums are just covered. Bring the plums to boil over medium heat. Let them simmer about 15-20 minutes, until softened.
- Using a slotted spoon remove the plums from the pot and place them on a sieve. Keep the juice in the saucepan. Rub plums through the sieve to separate the pulp from the skin and stones.
Chop the herbs and garlic. Add chopped herbs and garlic to the plum puree. If the sauce is very thick, add some plum juice from the pot.
- Stir to combine. Add salt an pepper. Simmer the sauce for 5-10 minutes, stirring constantly.
Put the sauce into a sterilized, dry jars or bottles.