Shila plavi is a traditional Georgian dish made with rice. As a rule the dish is perpend with meet and rice and is served at funerals, yet many families prepare it on ordinary days as well. During fasting meat is substituted with mushroom, yet the dish is no less tasty. Those who prefer vegan food can try shila plavi with mushroom. The dish is often compared to Italian risotto as well.
- 500 g button mushroom
- One cup of round rice
- 6 cups of water or mushroom broth
- 4 onions
- 150 ml oil or butter
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Finely chop onion and fry in oil. When onions turn translucent, add chopped mushroom, mix well and simmer.
- When mushrooms are almost cooked add 6 cups of water, salt, pepper and cumin to taste.
- When water starts to boil pour rice in the saucepan, cover with lid and cook at medium temperature.
- The dish should have consistency similar to risotto. You can regulate thickness of the dish by adding more water over time. When the rice is cooked leave it for few minutes, to let all the flavors combine and then serve.