Kidney beans is very popular product in Georgia. Georgians cook beans in different ways, but the most famous recipe comes from the region of Racha. Rahian dry-cured ham gives to the dish delicious flavor and unforgettable taste.
- 1.5 lb Kidney beans
- 12 oz Rachian ham
- 2 Onion
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 bunch Coriander
- 0.5 bunch Thyme
- Red hot chilli pepper flakes to taste
- Salt to taste
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Wash and prepare the kidney beans for cooking. Soak the beans overnight or for 2-3 hours. After soaking wash the beans well and strain.
- Put the beans in a large pot with ham and add enough water to completely cover beans and ham. Cover the pot with a lid and cook on a medium-low heat until ham and beans are tender, about 1,5-2 hours. Add more water as needed.
- Remove the ham from the pot. Cut ham into slices. Mash boiled beans until the consistency is like a thick soup.
- Cut onions finely. Add 2-3 tbsp of sunflower oil to a preheated pan and cook onions until golden. Add to the soup.
- Add ham slices, crushed garlic, chopped herbs, salt and pepper.